Decoupage is a craft technique of affixing paper decorations to a tough surface area with glue. By taking a look at a finished job, you would think this craft method would be complicated, yet it isn’t. Decoupage began in France in the 17th century as the poor man’s alternative to repainted furniture. It is actually rather easy. If you can reduce and paste, you currently recognize the majority of the methods involved.
To start with decoupage, you cut out pictures as well as adhesive them onto a things. The following action is to cover the object as well as pictures with a few layers of adhesive or decoupage tool to safeguard it. You most likely have every little thing you require to make your job lying around your house right now. Gather your materials and also begin crafting.
Decoupage tool is an all-in-one sealant, glue, and also surface made use of for developing decoupaged artworks. Use it on timber, material and various other porous surface areas. It dries out clear as well as holds your glued-on paper cuts tight.
Supplies You Need
Similar to any type of craft job you make, you must constantly check out the instructions first. Make a checklist of products that you need to purchase, although you might already have many of the materials currently in your house.
– Decide what object you wish to enhance with decoupage. You can include images to almost anything: furniture, picture albums, shelving, structures, boxes, flower holders, mirrors, hardbound books, trays, suitcases, dishes, candles, cans, containers, egg cartons, rocks, and far more.
– Find an image source. The alternatives are unlimited: cut out photos, concepts, or forms from covering paper, wallpaper, textile, napkins, welcoming cards, postcards, photographs, travel pamphlets, handbills, programs, garden seed plans, pages from old publications, foil-covered paper, paper doilies, bow, posters, dried flowers, tissue paper, and much more. You can also buy paper and images made specifically for decoupage. You can photocopy clip art, pictures, tales, rhymes, and various other products printed from your computer, with unique factors to consider for images printed making use of an inkjet printer.
– Select what decoupage medium to utilize. You can buy a product made especially for decoupaging, such as Mod Podge or Collection Pauge. You must have at the very least one of those in your craft cupboard, however in a pinch, slightly weakened white glue will certainly do.
The items over are the crucial materials you need, however there are a few other products you could locate handy to utilize in your decoupage journey:
– Bone folder: You can utilize this to aid smooth out wrinkles and also remove excess adhesive. You can also purchase a tool made particularly for this, called a brayer.
– Foam brush: Use this to spread the decoupage medium or adhesive onto the item you will decoupage. If you do not have a foam brush, you can use a common paintbrush or perhaps a cotton swab.
– Scissors: Utilize to remove the pictures and various other products you will certainly be decoupaging. To help with reducing attractive paper with a great deal of small details, you might wish to make use of scissors with smalls blades or an utility knife.
– Tweezers: Tweezers are often a terrific aid when it concerns positioning small images.
– Wet dustcloth: Keep one close-by to clean up excess glue as well as to aid with other clean up. See to it the rag is damp and also not saturating wet when utilizing it to get rid of excess decoupage tool from your glued papers. A damp rag also aids to maintain your hands tidy while collaborating with adhesive.
Getting Started With Your Project
When you have actually collected every one of your materials, you can begin on your job by following together with these easy instructions.
Make certain the item you’re decoupaging is clean, getting rid of any type of dirt or dust. It should also be dry. If you’re going to repaint your product first, the paint has to be entirely completely dry before you start decoupaging (no tackiness). This instance used spray paint with an added-in primer to repaint a wood tray. Make certain the paint you use is appropriate for the item you intend to decoupage.
Cut out the pictures you are mosting likely to make use of. It assists to use an X-Acto blade to cut out the paper items that have quite a bit of intricate information.
Prior to you include glue, prepare the pictures onto the thing you are decoupaging up until you like the means they look. The pictures can be in any positioning you such as well as can additionally overlap.
Operating in a small section at a time, get rid of the pictures and also use a generous layer of decoupage tool onto the product you are decoupaging. See to it you totally cover any type of area the picture will touch. If you favor, you can spread out the tool onto the rear of the picture.
Stick the picture on the decoupage medium. Utilize your finger to carefully push down the picture (for a huge image, begin with the facility and also function your way out) and push out any type of creases as well as excess tool. You can also make use of a bone folder or brayer to do this.
Continue with the last 2 actions till all of your photos are glued on.
Allow the decoupage medium dry. If you are using photos on thicker paper, such as pictures or greeting cards, they can take longer to completely dry.
Watch for bubbles as your photos completely dry. If one kinds, make use of a pin or utility blade to pop it and then use your fingers to smooth it down.
When the tool is dry, coat your thing completely with one more layer of the decoupage medium. Allow this dry.
Remain to include layers of the medium till you obtain the preferred results. You will certainly want to maintain adding layers until the sides of the pictures are all smooth.
Allow your job dry completely prior to it prepares to use, display, or be distributed as a present.
If you make use of inkjet-printed product on your tasks, let the ink dry, then spray it with hairspray. It sets the ink and after that you can use the print. Make sure both are totally dry prior to using your tool.
– Make xeroxes of photos and also various other original documents to make use of in decoupage so you can conserve the initial. You can also take an image of them with your phone and then print it.
– Tear your photos instead of reducing them. Torn sides lay a little flatter and mix a bit better.
– Take a photo to bear in mind the placement of your paper items. It’s very easy to forget once you eliminate them and begin decoupaging.
– When decoupaging on plastic, experiment prior to you devote. For rougher surfaces, the pictures should adhere yet will certainly take a bit longer to completely dry. If the surface area is really smooth, think about roughing it up with a little sandpaper.